Saturday, November 1, 2014

1st Post (and Tutorial!): Customized Fortune Cookies

Well, here it is. My blog. I hope you'll find it interesting!


I've thought about blogging for a while, but, meh, it just wasn't on my priorities list. Now, though, I think it might be fun! Among a few other things, I plan to share my crafting adventures, so, without further ado, here's a tutorial for customized fortune cookies!



I really wanted to put my own fortunes in fortune cookies without all the fuss of making my own cookies. I was afraid that steaming them open would make them tough and icky to eat, but no!

Print/write your fortunes before you start. These are about 3 1/2 inches long and a 1/2 inch wide. I had to fold mine to get them to fit in the cookies so you might want to make yours less than 3 inches. Get your store-bought cookies out of their packaging as well.

Wrap 1 fortune cookie in a damp paper towel. Tuck the ends of the towel under it. Make sure it is covered. 

Put the cookie in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Mine took 20 seconds to start and 15 toward the end when the microwave was nice and steamy. You do not want to over cook and you do not want to let the cookie cool off.

Gently open that sucker and take out the old, boring fortune. Quick as a wink stuff in the new, awesome fortune! Needless to say, caution: hot.

As soon as the new fortune is in the cookie, gently but firmly hold the cookie closed and folded in the correct fortune cookie shape until it is pretty cool and holds its shape on its own.

Presentation is everything! Or, at least, freshness. Store your cookies in a baggie or something or eat right away. The Chinese take-out box and packaging is totally your call.

Enjoy! And come back soon for more (hopefully!) interesting posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment