Monday, December 22, 2014

That Season Is Definitely Here

Whew! It's a whirlwind here. Christmas is a-coming!

I know it's been a bit of a popcorn-fest on this blog, but I made these "popcorn baubles" up and wanted to share.




This recipe is tweaked from one of my grandmother's old, old, old cookbooks:


1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
32 cups of popped popcorn (takes a bit over 2 batches for me to get enough from my air popper. I get it popping while the syrup is cooking.)


Cook the first 3 ingredients in a small pot over medium to medium-high heat. I stir occasionally most of the time, but, really, I’m a ditz sometimes and I haven’t figured out a way to mess up this recipe up yet.

Put the popped popcorn into lightly greased, shallow containers (don’t include unpopped kernels if you can. They’re no fun.) I use 2 disposable aluminum roasting pans from the grocery store (but I wash them and keep them instead of disposing of them.)

When the syrup reaches softball stage- I use a candy thermometer to tell -quickly stir in the vanilla and salt then pour over the kernels. Stir to coat.

When it’s cool enough for you, grease your hands (butter is tasty!) and get to forming the sweet, corny goodness into balls.

Let cool all the way. If they haven’t been devoured after that, wrap in plastic to keep fresh and/or to hang them.


That's it! In about an hour, you have classic popcorn balls!






You can have bunches of fun dressing them up, like Christmas ornament baubles (above)
or Ice Planets:



I found this fantastic Firefly-inspired dessert idea here.


No comments:

Post a Comment